Apple preparing a 10 inch tablet
Apple is one of the manufacturers that manages to keep secret almost every information about future products, letting only room for speculations. That’s not a bad thing as every WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference) brings new products, and along with them the childhood feeling of a surprise awaiting around the corner.
One of the speculations, that seems to came true is the one about Apple’s 10 inch tablet, a bigger version of an iPod/iPhone that will come by default with 3G connectivity, allowing users to access the Internet while on the move. Of course Apple didn’t confirm any information about this device, but sources seem to indicate Apple is trying to launch its 10 inch tablet PC in September, together with new members of the iPod family.
As you can imagine I don’t know any more details that already surfaced, like the fact that the hardware architecture inside Apple’s tablet will likely be an ARM based one, not an Intel Atom as previously speculated. Testimony to this is last year’s 278M $ buyout of PA Semi, a microprocessor company, specialized in low power architectures.
It’s said that Steve Jobs personally supervised the product’s development, as it always did with special products like the iPhone, so I expect it to be a pretty out of ordinary device. So let’s break it down to what we can expect from it:
What to expect from the 10 inch Apple tablet
- multi touch delight: imagine a 10 inch iPhone which can recognize up to 10 fingers moves. This will get iphone covers manufacturers to get new models on market soon
- amazing games for a portable console, but not at PC experience level
- operating system derived from iPhone’s OS
- at least 6-7 hours of operation with WiFi or 3G connection on
- price between iPhone and cheapest MacBook Pro (subsidized price, as it seems Apple will only sell it with a contract)
- simple design with not so many buttons, so no QWERTY keyboard (I don’t like that)
- small weight, under 2 lbs and thin body (maybe thinner than MacBook Air)
So that’s my take on the 10 inch Apple tablet. What do you expect from it? Do you think it will be a winner or just an Apple fanboy must have?